Snowstorm Tips and Awareness
Due to the anticipated arrival of winter storm Jonas this Saturday, the New York City area needs to stay informed and be ready for possible high winds, snow accumulations, and whiteout conditions as well as the potential for power outages, high tides, and other problems caused by these types of storms.
Since storms of this nature are often unpredictable, we want to encourage our community to keep the following in mind:
- Develop a plan with your household members that outlines what to do, how to find each other, and how to communicate if a hurricane strikes. A Family plan to utilize may be downloaded;HERE.
- Stay alert to weather reports and conditions over the next few days (by clicking: HERE) and pay attention to any instructions from local authorities.
- Keep emergency contact numbers with you.
- Secure loose objects in your yard.
- Close and lock windows and doors.
- Prepare a “GO BAG.” A list of items to include may be found by visiting; HERE.
- Keep on hand non-perishable food which can be eaten without cooking.
- Check flashlights or other emergency lights to make sure they are in working condition, and an ample supply of functional batteries.
- Keep a battery operated radio on hand.
- Fill your bathtub with water for flushing the toilet.
- Gas up your car. If electrical power is off, service stations may not be able to operate pumps.
- Prepare appropriate emergency supplies to sustain yourself and your family for a few days if the storm’s path becomes more evident of impacting your area.
- For more information on how to be prepared, please visit;HERE.
For more information on all of the programs we offer, or for crime prevention and personal safety tips visit our website: www.nypdcommunityaffairs.org